Thursday, January 10, 2013

Welcome to Yogaland


Yoga. My new phase in life which was highly encouraged by my lung doctor. I attended my first class yesterday morning at 9:00 in a beautiful studio overlooking the ocean. I was early, of course. I also had a hard time finding the front door! The parking area was at the foot of a huge altar where objects can be left. It took a bit to notice the small doorway to the left. I was there alone. Within ten minutes, the teacher arrived.

She asked about my health issues and we discussed the future lung transplants and my inability to inhale deeply. I also threw out some local names of people who recommended her class. She smiled.

I bought my first timers 3-card ticket for $10.00 per class. A three-week commitment.

Walking up a few stairs and opening a door, I entered the warm studio and laid my new mat on the floor. What am I doing here? I was nervous though my new yoga outfit gave me some confidence.

She began. As we worked on primarily stretching and breathing, I broke into a sweat. Me. Miss Cardio five days a week for eight years. It was hard. My legs were quivering at one point. Thank goodness I am limber but I have never worked on my core muscles other than on a treadmill. Thirty minutes into it, I felt nauseous. An hour into it, I felt my bowels rumbling. It was doing crazy things to my stomach and intestines! I must remember not to eat anything before the class. An hour into it, I felt a slight headache and I don’t get headaches!

I checked my watch. I thought it was an hour class. I was done. Oh no, keep moving. Finally, it ended at 10:45. I thanked the teacher and said I would be back. I told her that I felt like I was on the beginning of a long journey.

It was so unexpected that I loved it. It is different from my rehab workout so it is going to be good to mix it up a bit. My body is going to change.

I don’t remember the short drive home. It was slow, though. I was totally relaxed and so exhausted that I could not take the mat out of the car. I kicked up the heat in the house, grabbed a bolster and a blanket, put both on the carpet, laid my back on the bolster to open up my chest and promptly fell asleep for almost an hour. Finally at 12:30, I tried to eat lunch while wrapped in a blanket and stayed in that position in my chair until Michael got home at 2:00. I was still cold.

Wayne came by for two hours then I hurried to get dress for orchestra rehearsal. I felt the yoga workout in my shoulders as I tackled Beethoven. We fell into bed the moment I got home.

The bad news: Michael woke up with a cold. How can I escape it? If I get it, I know I will pass it along to my mom. Very scary. I will be washing my hands and trying not to touch anything he touches.

The good news: I am going to rehab this morning and will be celebrating Sherman's 88th birthday before class. My dear friend is doing great and the doctor says there is nothing wrong with him except his damaged lungs from smoking. I am so blessed to have him in my life.

No comments: