Saturday, January 12, 2013

Talked So Much I'm Hoarse

I spoke with Anna yesterday to ask how she was holding up. She got a bit teary telling me about having to clean out Matt's room and his bathroom. That must have been horribly emotional. Her sister Debbie arrives on Wednesday so she will have some help and support. Anna said that she and Mary clean and cry and laugh and talk. All very cathartic. 

Anna's daughter April will be working at Aunt Patty's house near Disneyland today to clean and prepare Mary's room and bathroom. The move will happen in a week.

I worked out at the other rehab yesterday then spent the day with mom. We sat and talked in her apartment for two hours, drove to have the most delicious gyros (I had the gyro salad with leftovers for lunch today), where we chatted another two hours then drove her home through a beautifully wooded area she hasn't seen in years. I think we talked non-stop the entire time. My voice is a bit like a frog and I am hoping it is not the beginning of a cold.

She told me about her friend who is 96-years old and lives in the penthouse at her place. He invited her up to see some artwork months ago and they have become friends. When she told me she was in his apartment, I said, "Mother!" She replied, "He's 96 and has a cane. I can outrun him!" She has not seen him in a while and he asked one of her friends what "that cute young thing" was up to. She told me that no one has called her that in many years! She looked fantastic and feels so great.

Today is my brother's birthday. They will celebrate with lobster tonight at a fancy restaurant in Laughlin, Nevada (just south of Las Vegas). They have been looking forward to it for months. There is no lobster where they live in the middle of New Mexico. 

And me? I will be buying shrimp for dinner tonight, watering the plants in the yards and waiting for the game to being at 5:00 tonight. A nice, simple Saturday.

No comments: