Sunday, January 20, 2013

Men Friends

Last week, Michael was given an iPhone his friend Don bought for him from Craig's List. I took it to AT&T to set up and he has it on this trip to Las Vegas to move his mom. What a friend.

I am often stunned how women can start talking in a grocery line and share intimate, soul revealing thoughts to another woman. To a stranger. We talk. We connect. We support each other. But, men? Not so much. They don't chat with strangers. They don't connect with strangers. They just...don't.

Michael has amazing relationships with a group of men. Dear friends. He knows how to be a friend and he knows who to allow into his "friend" world. He has Don, Wayne and Ricky but also has a group of eight more who believe he is their best friend. They connect. They support each other. As a woman, it is wonderful to watch.

A few years ago, they needed someplace to have their "Boys Night Out." I offered to cook food for them then go to my bedroom to leave them alone. It was the only time they came here. I secretly smiled as I set all the food out. The conversation? Cars, gossip, sports, work, politics, jokes. But what I like the most was when one told a story of something that had happened to him. Sharing. I felt I was spying into the secret world of men. It was lovely.

It is this group of men who I am expecting to support Michael when I die. It is this group of men who will connect with him when all the drama calms down. They will surround him within their circle and take care of him. They will keep him active and in the world. I laughed out loud when Don told me that if Michael ever even thought about getting married again, he vowed he would kidnap him! Now, that's a friend!

No comments: