Friday, June 7, 2013

Cancer Begone!

Back into the city today for the final cancer removal. Instead of spending the entire day with mom as our usual Fridays, we are having breakfast together this morning at the sweet little organic cafe on the Avenue before I head to the city at noon. She loves their oatmeal pancakes! Also on the Avenue, is the little chocolate company owned by my former high school teacher who I work out with at the other rehab. The woman who was so lovely to me on the phone while navigating the process of removing the cancer is going to get a box of their chocolates from me today as a thank you.

Michael's sister has arranged a date for a phone call with me after the doctor's appointment later this afternoon. She said she has lots of news. That could be good. That could be bad. Hmmmm.

Sometimes I am reminded of the all rich and famous people who were listed in the roster of the families at the school where I got sick. It was an amazing place to work but it all became very normal. Movie star? No problem. Nice guy, kinda shy. Major movie star? Kinda neurotic. American industrial revolution generational families? One fantastic. One not so much. The stars of the Silicon Valley? Mostly very nice, different, relaxed. The people who started the Bio/Tech industry? Wonderful, funny, brilliant. Movers and shakers? A certain president is going to be at the home of one of those families today. It wasn't until I was gone that it really hit me. It was a place where people met in the parking lot dropping off their kids, they became friends with each other, they sat on each other's Board of Directors, they became household names. A few of these families remain friends of ours today.

What is even more interesting is when I hear what the children of these and all the families are doing in their lives. Recently, I found that one of the kids in my first kindergarten class has her PhD in astrophysics and is teaching at a university. Love that. Another took his father's initial ideas and has grown four successful companies so far. And the former student who I met for lunch on Wednesday is headed for greatness when his journey begins in August towards a PhD in Economics. I smile when I hear of each success. These are the kids who are becoming the leaders in their generation.

No comments: