Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cancer Removal - Part 1

After working out at the other rehab yesterday, mom and I chatted, laughed a lot then went to lunch before I drove into the city. I gave myself two hours to drive there, find a parking spot on the street near the hospital and headed north with a plan. I was going to go my usual route when I realized that the quicker route, which usually had very heavy traffic trying to get onto the Bay Bridge, actually was very light and I made a last minute decision to go that way instead.

From mom's house to parking in a difficult-to-find parking space on the street, I made it in 45 minutes. I was floored. So, I walked to the Starbucks across the street from the doctor's office, enjoyed a decaf Americano and watched the parade of people walking by. Then I walked a couple of blocks just to move a bit before heading to the appointment 45-minutes early.

A woman named Adeline had helped me through the very difficult process of getting an appointment. We finally met in person, hugged and I was able to thanked her for all of her help. A nurse was watching, hauled me into a examining room where I would be more comfortable and I was seen by the doctor right on time. I was the final appointment of the day so he was not able to just cut out the final vestiges of the cancer during the appointment. He told me that their pathologists downgraded it to the least aggressive of all Basil Cell Carcinomas and that the margins around it had been initially removed by the local doctor but she did not cut deep enough. He said it was going to be a 2-inch incision and was worried how I would feel about a scar. I laughed and said, "Scar? I'm going to have lung transplants!" Then I asked if he could make the incision in the shape of a heart! That made him laugh.

So, I am going back to see him on Friday to have it finally removed. I just want it gone.

No comments: