Thursday, June 13, 2013

Aunt Ruthe


The phone call came about 5:20 last evening. It was totally unexpected. My cousin, whom I have not seen since 1966, was giving me the news that my aunt had died. Aunt Ruthe. The last of my dad’s twin sisters. The last of my dad‘s siblings. She was 85-years old, was in fantastic health just a year ago and died on June 9th just 3 months after being diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer that had spread throughout her body.

Cancer. It is the first case of it on either side of my family. Sadly, she was so bitterly angry with God for taking her twin with Alzheimer’s about 5 years ago that I believe it caused the cancer. Anger is not a healthy thing to have in a body.

I had written two blog posts about Ruthe and Bette. Photos included. These blogs will explain a lot and they are also a fun read:

After hearing about the internment information, Linda told me that Ruthe had been so thrilled to received $25,000 back in the 60s when their Aunt Daisy died. She wanted her nieces and nephew to feel the same delight so she left my siblings and me $50,000 each. Wow. So unexpected. I am still in shock. To be even remembered is an honor but I am speechless.

I phoned mom, Chip and Lee to share the news of her passing before telling them about her gift to us. Each was stunned. Chip said he was having a hard time processing the information. Lee whooped! Chip, mom and I will be lighting a large candle to light her way to heaven. I hope she is happy to be with her twin as well as her siblings and parents. If you hear a joyful noise from the skies, it is them having a ball together.

No comments: