Friday, June 28, 2013

Preparing for Colonoscopy and Connection to Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis

With years of prednisone and Imuran flowing through my liver, it is tired and swollen and sore. He wanted to scratch off a possible connection so, the liver doctor asked when I was due for a colonoscopy. Oddly enough, I am due for one now. It has been ten years since the last one. June of 2003. I was 49-years old.

The reason for the colonoscopy when I was so young was constant vomiting, low-grade fever and pain in my left side. It revealed nothing unusual. What we didn't know was these were the first signs of my lung disease. The first symptoms are "flu-like." It all fits into the timeline. By June of 2004, I was seeing a local doctor and having a terrible time with being short of breath, not being able to inhale or yawn and having a dry, hacking cough on exertion.

When I told the doctor about it all yesterday, she was rather shocked. I think she may have thought I was blaming her for not recognizing the lung disease ten years ago. I reminded her that I have a rare disease and it took a lung biopsy for a proper diagnosis.

For the colonoscopy in two weeks, she is going to give me prednisone in my IV as I will not be able to take it that the morning for obvious reasons. She also will be sure my saturation rates stay above 93%. This is one fabulous doctor. She NEVER had her patients drink a gallon of the horrible salt water. Years ago, I drank tablespoons of a phosphate mixture in a small glass of water. That was it. Apparently, a few people had kidney issues with that method so she currently prescribes another way to clean everyone out with 38 pills. But because of my lung disease, she has ordered another way to make sure I am empty before the procedure. The information is below from the web site. So simple. If you are going to have a colonoscopy, realize there are a few options besides drinking the gallon of salt water.


What to Expect with SUPREP Bowel Prep Kit

Be sure to follow your doctor’s instructions and carefully read the information that comes with SUPREP Bowel Prep Kit. Your doctor will tell you when it is time to begin taking SUPREP Bowel Prep Kit.
SUPREP is a low-volume bowel preparation that is taken as a split-dose regimen. A split-dose regimen means that you take two 6-ounce bottles of SUPREP Bowel Prep Kit. The first 6-ounce bottle is taken the evening before your colonoscopy and the second 6-ounce bottle is taken the morning of your colonoscopy.
The evening before your colonoscopy, pour the 6-ounce bottle of SUPREP liquid into the mixing container that comes with the kit. Then add cool water to the 16-ounce line on the container and mix. Drink all the liquid in the container. You MUST drink two more 16-ounce containers of water over the next hour.
Follow these same directions for preparing and taking the second 6-ounce bottle of SUPREP Bowel Prep Kit on the morning of your colonoscopy. You MUST finish drinking the final glass of water at least 2 hour before your colonoscopy.
In clinical studies, the most common side effects that people experienced with SUPREP Bowel Prep Kit were overall discomfort, abdominal distention, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and headache. 

Call your doctor if you have any questions about taking SUPREP Bowel Prep Kit.

No comments: