Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Two Women

After spending the day at the hospital with mom, I was leaving last night around 9:30 when I met her. While waiting for the valet to retrieve my car, a man dropped off a pretty woman along with her large green canister of oxygen at the curb while he parked the car. The valet service only retrieves cars after 9:00 so he had to self park.

There was only the two of us. No one else was around. I approached her and said that I too was on oxygen and that I am on the path towards lung transplants. She smiled and said, "I hope to get my new one lung tonight!" She had IPF, been on the transplant list since May and here she was on a Tuesday night in June standing and waiting for her husband to park the car then her life would be changed forever.

Offering her the best of luck and a wish for the pinkest, prettiest lungs ever, I asked if I could give her a hug. Two women. Strangers. Standing and crying together all alone in the dark infront of a hospital. I have been thinking about her all night. I hope she is alive and well.

No comments: