Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Comments
















One of the blog readers contacted me to ask:

Something I've been curious about- when you first were diagnosed and they said you would recover, but they were wrong, why was that? Why didn't you recover, and it became so much more serious of a condition?

Great question and thanks! Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis is usually not a fatal diagnosis. When we were told what I had, we had great hope of a full recovery. It really wasn’t until one of the doctors from the Interstitial Lung Team laid out the reality to me much later. She said that I had come to them so low – DLCO at 7.7 – that there really was not a lot they could do. I was too late, exposed too long and the damage was permanent.

It was a shock. We thought I just needed to take some prednisone, remove myself from the problem and I would be back to normal. So wrong.

Thanks for the question!

No comments: