Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Biblical Storms


Powerball fever has hit several states. It's a half-billion dollar jackpot tonight. That is a lot of money. Alas, we don't have it here in California. But, there is a downside to winning a huge lottery. The stories of former winners estranged from family members, greedy friends, divorces, and bankruptcies are common. We know of friends of friends who were heirs to $100M and, within a decade, it was gone. I so hope a group of people win this week's Powerball as it is way too much for one person to manage without destroying lives. 

We went to Jill and Wayne's house last evening and checked in with their son. He is healing beautifully from his dirt bike accident. His collarbone is still "knitting" and the huge wound in his armpit is completely healed. Ah, youth. He claimed that our gift of a box of See's Candy made it all possible. 

Here comes the rains! A huge storm from Hawaii is zooming up the coast and just hit us a few minutes ago. It is called the Pineapple Express as it is big, warm, wet and windy. Our first large storm of the season.  We watched the front and clouds gather yesterday afternoon and it was so odd to see the clouds come from the south. A rare event here. 

Today is the big day. I see Dr. K at 4:00 this afternoon after a full set of Pulmonary Function Tests beginning at 2:00. I cancelled orchestra rehearsal tonight as I will be whipped after being there most of the afternoon and the tough drive home in rush hour traffic in the rain. I am feeling good though I noticed that I was coughing a lot on Monday. 

With the almost biblical storm, I face my own storm of emotions today as I find out if I fought back the bronchitis and increased my lung capacity or not. The drama is around my 50% of expected vital lung capacity and a good winter cold or flu. Either could reduce my capacity to 40% and a visit to the Lung Transplant Clinic. I am not ready to face that yet and have been able to postpone transplants for several years. I want several more! Today's tests may predict my future.

No comments: