Tuesday, November 27, 2012

iPads, Menus and a Sweet Recipe Bonus!

Yesterday, I left the house at 8:00 and returned after 4:00. It was a wild ride. After working out, mom and I ran errands, had lunch, shopped then went to the Apple Store where we feel in love with the 22-year old woman who was helping us. A female in a predominately male world. She worked so well with mom as she introduced her to an iPad that mom fell in love with it. It was so much easier than she expected except she was still afraid to touch the screen! With Apple Care, one-on-one and taxes, the total for the new iPad was $638.00. That's a lot of money. Mom said that if we bought it, she would return it. It was too much!

Last evening, I e-mailed my sister to put them on the search for another pad. I am such an Apple person that I don't know the good other manufacturers from the bad. They are doing the research and we'll see what they can find.

Quiet day today then the big lung doctor appointment tomorrow. Looking forward to it but still nervous!

I haven't offered menus for the week in awhile so here is the list for this week:

Ham Steak and artichokes - My butcher has dynamite ham steaks. It was a great treat.

Mexican chicken- http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mexican_chicken2.html  We actually slice the chicken in half so this recipe makes 4 servings.

Baked Parmesan Baked Fish -
http://www.lowfatlifestyle.com/entrees/entreerecipes/parmesanbakedfish.htm Will probably serve this with the small Trader Joe's bagged green beans.

Remember, I eat 1400 calories per day and eat only non-starchy veggies and protein to maintain my weight. No fruit, no yogurt, no milk, no grains, no starchy veggies.  Due to long-term prednisone use, my body just cannot process those foods without gaining weight.

I am working on the menus for the week before Christmas, Christmas breakfast, lunch, appetizers, dinner and post-Christmas breakfast for everyone. It is going to be simple and easy yet unique. I will offer one recipe now. It is for Christmas morning. It is from Kate's Framed Cooks website and she is brilliant. I discovered it last year on another site called Tastespotting, which finds great recipes from all over the Internet and posts them in one spot. Easy to use.

The recipe below is not on my diet! But, once a year, I am going to have one. Just one. I want a whole lot more but, no. This woman came up with the idea of taking tubed cinnamon rolls, unrolling them, fitting in a soft-cooked piece of bacon, wrapping the roll back up and cooking it as directed. Last year, William's knees went weak! Here is the recipe:

Bacon Cinnamon Rolls
INGREDIENTS

1 package refrigerated cinnamon rolls (the kind in the tube)
8 slices bacon (and if you like your bacon well done, cook it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Separate rolls and unroll into long strips. Lay one slice of bacon on top of each strip and roll back up, pressing the dough together as needed. Place on greased cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 15 minutes or until rolls are browned and bacon is cooked.
4. Spread frosting from dough package on top of rolls while still hot.
5. Stand back out of the way. These babies are best right out of the oven!

No comments: