Saturday, November 10, 2012

Celebrating 59

Well, it happened. I am another year older. The phone rang most of the morning with calls from mom, my brother, sister and Michael's sister. Facebook is amazing as I think I received happy wishes from so many people I haven't heard from in a bit. It was lovely.

Michael and I were able to enjoy the city together on a clear, cool, sparkling day. On a friend's recommendation, we made reservations at Cafe de la Presse located just across the street from the Chinese Arch to Chinatown. It sits on a famous corner usually filled with tourists taking photos of the arch.








We arrived early, of course. We took a table in the bar area for a coffee cocktail when suddenly a nice family sat down next to us. When they began looking at a map, we realized they were tourists. I asked where they were from and, oh my, I think we have made friends for life. They were from New York and had planned this vacation before the big storms. Their Upper West Side apartment was fine but a vacation home was damaged. We gave them several restaurant recommendations then the conversation turned to their beautiful 5-year old daughter. She takes piano lessons. That opened my floodgates! Within about five minutes, I offered everything I know about children and music lessons and music teachers and selection of instruments and later learning another instruments from a different family and on and on. Michael was dragging me to our waiting table when the mom quickly handed me her business card.

Our lunch. We were the first people to be seated and had the window. It was a similar menu to Presse in Seattle where William took us for lunch but it was so much more expensive and not as good. Still, it was the best we have eaten locally.

It began with a small charcuterie of meats and pate followed by a very thin flatbread covered in smoked salmon, capers, onions and creme fraiche then the main event - Croque Madame. We split it. It was a ham and cheese sandwich grilled them covered in either bechamel sauce or, in this case, white cheese. As it is a Madame, it also featured a soft-cooked egg on top.

Dessert? Oh yes. Michael had a bread pudding-like dessert made with croissants, a bit of chocolate, toffee and vanilla bean gelato on top. I had the apple tartin.

While looking out the window, Michael waved at a gentleman walking by and he waved back! It was the former speaker of the house for the state and the former mayor of SF - Willie Brown. He looked fantastic.

We walked down to Union Square and into several stores. My most favorite store was Gumps. We were so surprise to see it decorated for Christmas and Michael insisted on a photo in front of one of the displays.  I love Gumps. You can explore their goodies at http://www.gumps.com/

When we got home, I e-mailed the mom from New York. It may be the start of a nice relationship!

No comments: