Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Crazy Few Days Ahead

Mom and I did some good shopping, I found two pairs of shorts for our road trip and had some chili for lunch. A perfect day.

This morning, Michael and I slept in. It will be my last chance for a couple of days. After paying the mortgage and swinging by our investment company, I will pick Jeannie up this morning for our trek over the pass to rehab class. This evening, there will be a late rehearsal with the Irish Fiddling group. A nice, regular day.

I am worried about Rob at our rehab class. He was on the table for lung transplants when they found a small tumor in his lungs. The transplant was cancelled, he had lung cancer, was treated but was not allowed another shot at a transplant for five years. By that time, he aged out of the program. Recently, he traveled to his beloved cabin in the mountains for a visit but said it was too difficult for him to get around, even with oxygen and that it would be his last time. We heard he had been hospitalized several months ago but he has never returned to the class. One of his friends told us he spoke with him and that he was not ready to come back yet. I asked if he thought he would ever return? His friend said, "Oh, sure!" I'm not so sure. He was one of the people who transferred to our class about two years ago after another hospital's rehab program was closed. He is a very nice man, very proud of his sons and just a good guy. I hope he returns to class.

Tomorrow begins the craziness for the rest of the week!

Because I have to be out the door so early, I won't post anything tomorrow morning. So, here's the plan: No food or coffee or anything before driving into the city to my university hospital at 6AM, take a number and wait for a fasting blood test for my liver function and cholesterol (sometimes it can take a couple of hours), have breakfast and a nice cup of coffee then wait for it to be fully digested before the 11AM pulmonary function test. A fun morning, indeed!

Did I mention that there will be a rain storm while driving to and from the city?

Thursday will be even crazier.

2 comments:

Peggy in Alameda said...

Hi!

I enjoy your blog very much and have learned a lot from it. I have an interstitial lung disease caused by a connective tissue disease.

In your blog today, you mentioned that you would have breakfast and coffee after the bloodwork but before your pulmonary function test. Are you sure it is okay to have the coffee? When I get my PFTs, they always emphasize no caffeine before the test.

Good luck!
Peggy High

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy! You are so right. I needed just enough to stop a caffeine headache and was able to finish it three hours before the PFTs. I hope you are doing well. One of the women in my rehab class had her transplants almost a year ago. She also has a connective tissue disease. In the old days, when I first started thinking about lung transplants, nothing else could be wrong. No other diseases. I am so happy that the policy was changed. I have a feeling we are at the same university hospital and they have a really good ILD Support Group. I learned so much there. Lots of people from Kaiser and other hospitals attend. All are welcomed. Take care.