Sunday, March 17, 2013

Final Goodbye to an Old Friend


This has been quite a year of upheavals and changes. Sadly, we are attending another funeral next Saturday. In past blogs I have written about my son’s playgroup and the one woman who befriended me. It was an interesting relationship, I painfully moved on, went to work at the school where I got sick, our sons went to different schools in different cities and we grew apart. The background story is below:



About two years ago, she found me on Facebook. She had been struggling with MS for many years and was wheelchair bound. We e-mailed back and forth, caught up with the lives of our children but I really didn’t want to see her again. She was the same. Her group of friends were all the same. I had grown and was not the same person I was in those years. She loved drama, surrounded herself with it and I just didn’t want to be drawn back into it all. I have enough drama in my life with all my health issues!

On Friday, I received an e-mail from her children inviting me to her funeral. Michael is going with me. All the same group of her friends will be there. All the former Rhodas will be there (if you read the above blogs, you will understand). It will be difficult.

I am also sure that many will not welcome me because I resisted being part of their group once again. Some may even “confront” me about not being supportive of Lindsey when she was ill.

I am attending to honor the friend I had for many years, comfort her children and really just to say goodbye.

No comments: