Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Talking and Speaking

For years Louise, the head of the pulmonary rehab program, has taken me aside to ask for my help. Due to the HIPAA laws, she can't tell me anything about another patient but will ask that I have a conversation with someone. That is my cue. That person is struggling with their illness. I will begin a light conversation, ask their diagnosis and how they are doing, which always brings forth the issues. Most are just scared and don't want to face their illness. Some need second opinions. (I am always shocked that a diagnosis was determined by an xray. No biopsy, no CT Scan, no bronchoscopy.) But what I offer to each person is the importance of staying in rehab, not just for the 8-week education classes but for the rest of their lives.

I believe that my extensive exercise for the past eight years has staved off lung transplants.

Because I so believe in the importance of diet and exercise when facing a fatal diagnosis, Louise has invited me to speak to her class about exercise. In order for that to happen, she had to receive approval from the head of the hospital because of the HIPAA laws. I was approved and will speak with the group in April.

I had tea before the rehab class yesterday with Lois, who I met years ago at the other rehab. We looked at her photos from her annual trip to the Mozart festival in Salzburg. She has been making the trek for over 20 years and even taught herself German so she could go to the lectures and read the concert programs. We talked music. Always a delight. Had I not started working out at the other rehab over seven years ago, we never would have met. She is a lovely gift in my life.

While having tea, I told her about my struggle of whether or not to contact the head of the school where I got sick regarding the electronic music professor I met at Stanford last month. He would be such a perfect fit for their new high school, which just won approval from the county. Lois advised that I do make contact because of the benefit to the children. I am working on that e-mail and will try to send it today.

Yoga hell class this morning. Orchestra rehearsal tonight. Cooking the lamb stew for dinner later this afternoon. A nice, quiet day!

No comments: