Monday, November 4, 2013

Bittersweet Birthdays

It is very quiet and cold this morning as we go into my birthday week! The actual birthday in not until next weekend but the big celebration will be tomorrow night.

This morning, I am meeting mom for two appointments at the eye clinic, we'll have some lunch before taking a quick tour through Trader Joe's. We will have a non-stop gabfest.

Around my birthday, my mind always drifts back to 1997 when my dad was in ICU between October 13th and November 15th when he died of elective same day surgery. We always think of him on the 15th, we phone each other, we check-in with mom then we all pause again on the 25th, which was his birthday. It was hardest when his birthday fell on a Thanksgiving. My heart still hurts. The story is here: http://livingwellwithabaddiagnosis.blogspot.com/2010/07/grief.html 

When he was in the hospital on my birthday, my mom, Uncle Bill, Michael, William and I went to dinner together. My wish was that Dad would be well enough to leave ICU. The next morning, he was in a room and was awake for the first time. We thought he was going to make it. After he died less than a week later, I was numb for a long time.

So, my birthdays have always been a bit bittersweet since his death. We will celebrate with a toast to him tomorrow night. I still miss him so much.

No comments: