Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Bit of News

The big news: The 25-pounds of walnuts have all be cracked, are in sealed bags and waiting to be made into baklava and sugar-glazed walnuts. I estimated that there are around 10 pounds shelled. I saved about $20 between what I bid for them and what I could have bought them for at Safeway! Is my labor worth it? Actually, I really had a good time shelling them.

Other smaller news: I hit Macy's big sale yesterday and bought two sweaters and a pair of brown cords.  All were 50% off plus another 10%. They almost gave them away.

Even smaller news: Michael and I were up at dawn, showered and dressed in the new cords and the medium blue sweater and ready to hit the road. Mom and I are on a 100-mile road trip to visit my dad's crypt and for her to celebrate a friend's birthday. It is going to be a long day.

Tiny news: I am planning my menu for Thanksgiving. Mom is making the stuffing and homemade cranberries and I am bringing appetizers and dessert: a pumpkin cheesecake with pralines on top, crostini with prosciutto, cooked fig with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a potato chip, smoked salmon, cream fraiche with a snip of chives. That's it so far. Michael also suggested Molinari Salami and maybe some truffle cheese topped with quince.

No comments: