Thursday, November 14, 2013

Evenings Out

It was a rather sweet conversation. During the break at orchestra rehearsal last night, the flute players and two other musicians came over to me to ask how I was feeling. Great. Fantastic! They were stunned that I had been so sick and bounced back with no permanent damage to my lungs. It was lovely to be told over and over how healthy and beautiful I looked. Every girl likes that! It was also a chance to answer their questions about the whole lung transplant process and why I am trying to postpone them as long as possible. I was very touched with their concern, kind words and support.

Just a couple of years ago, Michael and I would jump into the car after dinner, go into town and have a cup of coffee or one of us would have a piece of pie. He began to be careful of his food and he gave up the dessert. So, we would go for a drive just to get out. Since he is now working full time, he comes home late, eats dinner and he is done. Tonight, we have been invited to an open house at our dentist's office to welcome the new owners of the practice. Our former dentists (husband and wife) will be there. Gwen plays the harp next to me in the orchestra. They will introduce the new owners to the community. We will be going out after dinner! A big deal!

Two nights in a row? Friday night, we have been invited by our neighbor Leslie, who is the first chair of the second violins in the orchestra, to see her small group perform Irish fiddle music at one of the B&B/restaurants in town. I am luring Michael there with the promise of an Irish beer and a possible conversation with her husband, Joe. He is from Ireland and has a lilting accent. A good, kind man. And very funny in a dry kind of way.

So, I am feeling like an adult. Out into the world in the evening.

No comments: