Friday, May 6, 2011

Debbie and Family


After we left my aunt’s home in Chattanooga, we made arrangements to meet Michael’s sister Debbie and her family for a couple of hours at a Crackerbarrel Restaurant for breakfast on Sunday morning. We arrived first, of course. When they arrived, I couldn’t believe how much Debbie’s 13-year old grandson Josh had grown since we had seen him two years earlier. So cute. Eating everything in sight!

Debbie had won a huge award at her work and was given a trip to Disneyworld, a luncheon in her honor, conversations with the CEO of her major corporation, lots of gifts and a money award. Nice. She beat out 600 other nominated people.

Michael is so proud of her. She changed her life around. She is living a good life.

Her daughter is also working at her mom’s company while going to school to be a social worker. She had huge issues as a teenager and a really tough childhood. She wants to help other avoid all the pitfalls she found herself in. I love her. She is so positive and outgoing.

A cute conversation with Josh began with my asking him if he still was going into the military. He responded that he and a friend were going to join together and both wanted to be snipers. “But now that won’t happen,” he said. I had to ask why.

“My mom won’t let me.”

Such a typical kid response that it really made me smile. Really love this kid.

As we were leaving, Debbie took my face in her hands and told me how wonderful I am so much that I told her stop or I would cry. Too late. The tears came. We hugged and kissed many times.

Then it was Michael’s turn. I don’t know what she said to him but as we walked to our car alone, I told Michael that she brought me to tears. Michael said, “Me, too!”

We sniffed and cried for a few more minutes before we got back on the road.

No comments: