Monday, May 16, 2011

Grocery Shopping and a Concert


What a weekend. Sunday morning we went grocery shopping for Michael before my concert in the afternoon. The concert went well and I was so happy to see Jill and her mom in the audience for the first time.

This little local orchestra donates all of their revenue to music scholarships for children in the community. Nice. This year, there were four. One student asked for a scholarship to fix the piano at the local middle school. Love these kids.

While we were grocery shopping at the local “Whole Foods-type” market that morning, I realized that this was actually good for Michael. He has to think and make decisions regarding his food for a week. In the past, I used to get frustrated when I would ask if he needed anything, i.e. cereal, OJ, shaving cream, deodorant. He would say no then run out during the week. Now, he has to return to a store after work to pick up whatever item he didn’t buy. It was milk last week.

He also learned that he needed to buy more vegetables and fruit for a whole week. It is a bit difficult to make a dinner of nothing but protein. Lesson learned.

While I was playing in the concert on Sunday, he made himself dinner. He had to figure out how to cook a New York Steak on the stove top. He was very proud of himself when I got home. It was a success.

I was thinking that these are all lessons learned so he will not starve or only eat out when the time will come when I can no longer shop or cook. 

No comments: