Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Barefoot Tennessee Wedding


It actually was very beautiful. This trip was inspired by an invitation to my Uncle Bill’s wife’s granddaughter’s wedding. It was on her daughter farm about an hour north of Chattanooga in the middle of nowhere. Really. Nowhere.

Even with specific directions, it was a challenge to find. At one point, we stopped at a convenience store and asked for help. One local woman heard my plea along with the statement that we had the grandmother of the bride with us and we were late and lost. We followed her directions and arrived in time. 

The weather held and it was a most beautiful day. There were two huge tents for the ceremony and the reception. I was told not to wear heals as it was a farm, after all. Well, what I didn’t expect is that the whole wedding party walked down the aisle barefooted. They wore sandals after the ceremony.

The bride and groom were adorable, there was a live band, my aunt danced with the groom, the food was exceptional, we sat at a table with my aunt’s neighbors and really had a nice time. Casual. Lovely. Very well done.

Since the weather was warm and a bit humid and were we high in the mountains, I did have a tough time breathing. Michael was able to go through the buffet line for me and chose all the foods I could eat. Love that man. We sat at a table with my aunt and her neighbors, who were funny and very kind. No dancing for us but is was fun watching my aunt and the groom tearing up the dance floor. I am sure it is on YouTube. That 80-year old woman can really dance.

We loved being in Tennessee. We loved staying with my aunt. We were able fulfill my promise to him by visiting my uncle's mausoleum again. We loved the wedding high in the mountains. I am so happy that I am still well enough to travel. We have made a vow to plan another road trip for the Fall of 2012. New York? Maine? Newport? We will be making those decisions as we dream about being on the road again.

No comments: