Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Pain-Free Exhausting Day

Last Friday was a long day. 

I was out of the house at 8:00 to begin the 100 mile trek to my mom's house. We hopped back into the car for another 45 minute drive north to a surgery center. There, at noon, she had the nerves around her broken back "shocked."

The hoped for results was for her to be pain-free for a year or two.

No pain. 

Imagine.

She did great but afterwards, her right leg was just dead weight. It would not work. She fell getting into the car. Her legs could not support her weight.

I was worried. Is this permanent? Is there a problem, NASA? 

On the way home, we went by her high-end grocery store for a Starbucks Chai Tea, a special treat for her, while I bought some food for the next few days. The doctor told her not to drive or leave the house on Saturday.

When we arrived home, I had to run in to turn off her alarm. Halfway to the alarm, I heard a thump. She had fallen down while leaning over to grab her purse. She could not get up on her own. I helped her up and we quickly went to the bathroom where she promptly fell trying to sit on the toilet. I helped her up once again. She could not stand up without help.

I had not planned to spend the night but I certainly could not leave her home alone in this condition. 

Having had no food, we sat while she ate her sandwich. We never stopped talking. Before long, a couple of hours had passed. We tried her legs again, which she claimed were better. I was skeptical because I told her that if she was not better, I was going to bring her home with me. She really didn't want to leave her house. The thought of packing everything she would need was overwhelming to her. That is when I saw her steely determination to get her leg to work again.

And it did. Around 4:30 she was able to get up out of the chair, walk down the hallway and use the restroom all without help and without falling.

A good sign.

I waited until 6:00 to head home when she said she was 90%. So, I drove the final 100 miles home. Michael hugged me. It was a perfect end to the day. But, it did not stop me from worrying all night that she might fall. If she hurt herself, my siblings would never forgive me.

It was a relief to talk with her on Saturday morning to discover that she had a great night and her leg was 100%. Big relief.

I stayed home, cut the grass and napped on Saturday in preparation for today. The final orchestra concert is this afternoon. The week ahead is filled with two days of doctor appointments and rehab. And, I am fighting a cold.

I feel a nap coming on.

No comments: