Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Interview for the Board

The phone call came about 6:00 last night. A woman phoned to discuss Dr. K's recommendation that I join the patient advisory board at my university hospital. She asked a few odd questions, for example, how far do I live from the hospital? Do I have another family member who would also like to sit on the board? She also told me that the board meets for a two hours session every other month beginning in September.

Then she told me that the woman who works with the board will need to "interview" me and we set up that appointment for Thursday from 2-2:30. As with most boards, there is an expectation of donations. I wonder if that is the reason for the appointment. An interview? Half hour interview? I am oddly intrigued.

So, Thursday: I am meeting my biologist friend Lois to talk about the road trip over tea at 10:30 then I will hop in the car and head to the city. There is a heat wave coming later in the week so I expect very hot weather.

My mom bought a cell phone at Walmart yesterday along with a card of minutes that roll over for three months. For a grand total of $38.00, she has now join the masses. While I was on the road trip, she had a bit of car troubles and it scared her. She needed a phone (there are no phone booths anymore) so the sweet cashier at CVS called AAA for her. It turned out fine, it started right up moments later but it still made her feel very vulnerable. This new phone also allows for text messages. And a camera. Really rather amazing for the money.

No comments: