Wednesday, June 11, 2014

One Jammed Packed Day

I made it through the day yesterday and even got home with enough energy to cook breakfast for this morning. The drive up? Easy traffic, free valet parking but terrible fog and wind. Cold. I arrived at the pulmonary function lab almost an hour early. They took me right in. I only had to do the DLCO and Spirometry tests. Simple. Less than thirty minutes later, I was done. The news: My FVC was lower than in October but my DLCO was higher. I was also rather shocked that I had a temperature of 99 degrees. That was high for me. My usual is 96.8 due to my thyroid issues. When I got home, it was back to my normal and I just checked it again. Normal.

After making my way down to the cafeteria for a cup of coffee to kill some time and people watch, I then headed across the street and down an elevator to wait an hour for my CT Scan. They took me in within minutes! Early! Done! Back upstairs, I found a bench away from everyone and phoned Michael's sister Anna. We had been trying to connect for a chat but I am booked in the mornings and she is booked in the afternoons. We mostly talked about plans for our surprise visit on their mom's birthday in July. I had bought a REV for lunch at Safeway and was munching on that while we talked.

Anna and Doug are taking a river cruise in September beginning in Budapest and weaving through Germany. She has never travelled, has been buying appropriate clothing and was so excited, she could just bust. My wish is that this trip opens their lives to the world of traveling together. Doug retires just before the trip so they will now have the time.

Looking at my watch, I realized that I needed to get to the ILD Support Group meeting. Walking against the howling cold wind, the meeting was several buildings away. There were a couple of people already there but I didn't recognize them. An older, tall, slender man asked me a few questions and that began the beginning of a friendship. What a nice man. He is dealing with IPF, had done his homework and was not afraid to ask questions regarding the latest drug trial. I am still working on my meeting notes and hope to post them tomorrow.

I had left home at 9:30 and walked back in the door at 4:00. A long day but I really wanted to cook the "Bacon and Eggs in a Different Way" for our breakfast this morning. Done. Dinner was leftovers.

Before Michael left this morning, we began to plan Father's Day. I think he wants to BBQ one of the fabulous 23-day dry rub rib-eye steak from my butcher and I offered to make any dessert of his choosing. He is going to think about what he wants while at work today as I have to buy everything before the weekend.

Today? The long drive back deep into the city at another campus to see the nutritionist followed by a trip to the nursery here in town and some yard work before I make some dinner tonight. Another jammed day!

No comments: