Sunday, May 29, 2011

Lung Transplant Information #1 - Evaluation

We were able to see a power point presentation while at the Lung Transplant Clinic last week. The Transplant Coordinator, K. K., walked us through it and we learned so much. Here is what we learned:

The entire process was reviewed:
Evaluation
Listing
Waiting on the List
Being Called in for Transplant
Life after Transplant

Today, I will pass along what we learned about the evaluation process.

The beginning of the process is the initial meeting with a Pulmonologist and possibly a Transplant Coordinator, Social Worker, Dietitian and Financial Coordinator. The Pulmonologist will make a decision as to proceed with the evaluation process.

In my case, the doctor felt that I had a downturn and my numbers are horrible, but they are always horrible. I appeared to be stable and functioning. At this point, she said that I am under their auspicious in case there is a sudden downturn. With that, she sent me back to Dr. K. until she feels the transplant team should see me again, hopefully not for many years.

But, let’s say that it appeared that I was ill enough to be an appropriate candidate for a transplant in the near future. There are a lot of test done at this point.

There are tests to:
            See how sick I am
            See how well I am
            Insure there are no current infections
            Check my esophagus.

I guess the tests are to determine that one is ill enough for a transplant yet well enough to survive the process. During the surgery, immunosuppressant drugs are introduced so it is important that there are no current underlying infections. They also want to insure that no acid reflux is going up and into the fresh new lungs.

Here is the list of testing:
Blood Tests
PFT’s
6-Minute Walk Test
CT Scan
Chest X-ray
EKG
Echocardiogram
Cardiac Catheterization
Abdominal Ultrasound
Urinalysis
24 hour Urine Test
Bone Density Test
PPD – skin test for TB
Vaccinations – Hep A., Hep B., Tetanus, Pneumonia, Flu
PAP Smear
Mammogram
Colonoscopy
24 hr pH/manometry
Dental Clearance

Dear reader, that is a lot of testing. When they are all completed, it is then time to meet once again with the pulmonologist, surgeon, transplant coordinator, social worker, financial counselor and cardiologist.

Tomorrow, I will write about listing a person in the national registry – UNOS –when one is ready and waiting for a donor.

No comments: