Thursday, November 3, 2011

Rescue Me

...and he did. It happened at the beginning of one of the most productive day I have had in weeks. I had the morning scheduled with the goal of meeting with Fran at 10:30. We had been to Fran and Ricky's house for dinner last Saturday and she phoned me on Monday to offer me two beautiful St. John knit suits. I was thrilled. I also wanted to drop off a thank you card and present. Goal - 10:30.

So, with that in mind, we both left the house together in separate cars and followed each other over the pass at 7:15AM. He to work, I went to the other rehab. Early. Very early. After a good workout, I was heading to the butcher's when suddenly I noticed steam coming up through the vents near the windshield. I was less then a block away, pulled into their parking lot then noticed a lot of steam as well as a water trail from the stop sign to my car. It had to be a broken hose.

I opened the hood to see where it was coming from then phoned Michael. He was there in a flash. My hero. We hopped in his car and drove just blocks to Orchard Supply, not an auto supply store or the dealership, a hardware store. That is where I realized that my husband is really Macgyver. You know, the guy on the old TV show who could fix anything using simple things and tape. I was amazed.

We drove back to my car and, within minutes, it was fixed. It was a heater hose. He rerouted it until the part would be available at the dealership on Friday. We switched cars and off we went.

It was 9:35. Would I make the 10:30 appointment with Fran?

Trader Joe's was right down the street so I ran through it with my list of food for the week then jumped in the car to head to Fran's. It was then that I looked down to see how much gas Michael had in his car. Oops. Fumes.

Faster than any NASCAR pit stop, I pumped the gas then calmly arrived at Fran's at 10:20. A miracle. We had fun talking for twenty minutes before I headed for home. But, I had one quick stop at Safeway for other supplies and finally arrive home at 11:45.

Then the fun began. I worked in the gardens because it is supposed to rain today and it had been very windy. It was a mess. Two hours later, done. Also, while working in the gardens, I kept the laundry going.

When the gardens were cleaned and watered, I next began my work in the kitchen. In short order, there were the following things in the oven at one time:

  • Two chicken breasts roasting on the bone for my lunch for the next four days
  • Breakfast crustless quiche with asparagus, small tomatoes, scallions, pancetta
  • Dinner of a Beef Roll that was fantastic seasoned ground beef wrapped in bacon

While they were in the oven, I dragged out the huge ladder and cleaned the back gutters. I felt like Wonder Woman. Boy, my thighs are sore this morning. I must have climbed it over a dozen times!

Michael came home early to throw me in the car and we drove back into town for his haircut. He likes me to come along as he thinks she spends more time with him and he gets a better cut. Afterwards, we had a delicious dinner of the Beef Roll, asparagus and sliced heirloom tomatoes.

It was a struggle to stay awake until 8:00. I was asleep by 8:05.

Today's plan? I am meeting my friend Lois for tea at 10:00 then I am meeting Sherman before the rehab class at 11:30. After rehab, I am cleaning the house then we are going to the car show at the harbor at 4:30 followed by a fish dinner with Larry and Betsy where I have to be awake and coherent. That is going to be a challenge!

No comments: