Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Christmas Movies and Music

Last weekend, Michael and I began our tradition of watching specific Christmas movies. The first one is always the original Home Alone. We both applauded at the end. Yesterday afternoon, I watched White Christmas and sang along with all the songs. It always brings tears to my eyes.

We still have to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Love Actually. Oh, and Miracle on 34th Street. The original one.

These movies encourage the holiday spirit to begin to seep into my body. I find myself listening to the radio station in the car that plays Christmas music 24/7 from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I sing along while driving. When I hear Bing or Burl Ives or the Andrew Sisters or Mel Torme or Frank Sinatra it brings back all the feelings of the magic of Christmas from my childhood.

With the horrible economic news and political upheaval, it is so nice to ignore it all and sing about Frosty. Or Rudolph. Or Santa. Or the Little Drummer Boy.

Go and do whatever it takes to get you in the spirit. It is a lovely thing to have in your heart.

No comments: