Friday, December 30, 2011

Patient Web Charts

Home cooking. I think that is one reason our son loves being home. Last night was a variety of chicken and turkey sausages from our organic market with three colors of peppers and onion along with a salad. He is going to use the leftovers with eggs for breakfast this morning. Tonight, braised short ribs and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes. He is very happy.

I have already mentioned that my mom has bronchitis and I just learned that my niece has a nasty cold. Love it when a family shares its germs at Christmas! My university hospital now has a site set up with a password for a patient to see all test results and will even put them into a format to compare the tests over time. It also allows e-mails to the provider within the site. If there is a reply, it notifies the patient to check the site via e-mail. Very interesting but I had never use it for anything other than checking my blood test results.

Since I was so physically close to my mom for days leading up to her bronchitis and I was having a non-productive, sporadic cough, I thought it was time to test the system with an e-mail to Dr. K. I sent it yesterday morning and got a response yesterday afternoon. She ordered an antibiotic at the local drug store for me. Done. Thank you very much.

Then, suddenly, I was notified that I had another message on the site. What? I opened the message and really smiled. I try to use my Prescription D Medicare dollars as much as possible without going into the "hole" at the end of the year. Earlier in the week, I had ordered almost all of my drugs and will be in good shape for 2012, especially if I have to begin cholesterol medicine which can be expensive. One of the prescriptions had expired and the drug provider was to notify Dr. K. for a new yearly prescription. The new message notified me that this was completed.

This is a big deal. In the past, I have gone weeks waiting for a drug, would call the mail drug company and they would tell me that the doctor never got back to them. This could be a problem if I were to run out of, let's say, prednisone. I love that this possible gap has been filled. This morning, I received an e-mail from the drug company that the drug is in transit. Easy. I love technology when it works!

No comments: