Wednesday, December 14, 2011

December ILD Meeting - Part 1

It was a busy day yesterday. I met Susan for lunch at Park Chow before our ILD Support Group meeting. We never had a quiet moment and shared lots of information. While we were finishing up, a group of men sat near us and one of them wore some strong aftershave which was wafting towards Susan. Her lungs began to protest and she was really struggling to breathe. Funny how people just don't understand how so many of us cannot be around any aromas at all. We left.

When the other rehab was in the old hospital, I used to have to ride an elevator to the gym. Often, I would be gasping for air because of strong aromas in the small space. I even got good at recognizing deodorant brands! The aromas could be so strong that I could taste them.

Susan and I met again on the university hospital campus for the ILD Support Group meeting. There was a cookie exchange and the atmosphere was very festive. While waiting for the speaker, we had a active conversation regarding the holidays, helpful or too pushy relatives and many other issues. The head of the group, Sally, had been contacted by hospitals from all over the world regarding our ILD Support Group. Others want the model for their programs. Sally has been invited to the famous ILD Clinic in Italy and invited us to go along. Oh, how I wish I could fly!

I did learn something big that I wish to pass along. People in the group were talking about unneeded or unwanted advice from well meaning people. The shoulds...."You should get someone to live with you to help" or "You should move." One woman in the group said that she manages these people by saying, "Maybe you're right."

Maybe you're right. So simple. So noncommittal. No arguments. No explanations. So perfect.

I need to practice that phrase.

After explaining this to Michael last night, I suggested that he might borrow this phrase for his business situation when people tell him what he needs to do. You guessed it. A second passed when he said to me, "Maybe you're right."

We had a good laugh.

I will write up my notes for tomorrow's blog about integrated medicine with Dr. Kevin Barrows' presentation from yesterday's ILD meeting.

No comments: