Sunday, December 5, 2010

Interstitial Lung Disease Luncheon


Instead of our monthly meeting, the December meetings for people with an Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD) were invited to attend a luncheon at my university hospital. The entire ILD team was there. The doctors, nurses, office people. Everyone.

This group was the brainchild of the head of the team. He is a handsome extremely tall doctor who I first met when I was waiting for my lung biopsy. He requested a piece of my lung for research. Little did I know that we would know each other so well all these years later. Such a smart man. Such a good researcher. Maybe he will find a treatment for these diseases other than lung transplantation.

I sat with a table of people from the ILD support group I meet with every month. As we looked around, the room was packed and we began to recognize some people. Several of the world-famous doctors in the area of Interstitial Lung disease were there. The head researcher for the ILD group, other ILD doctors, the co-heads of the ILD Clinic, the coordinator for lung transplants, the PFT lab personal and the appointment desk people were also present. It was fun walking through the crowd and talking with everyone.

I was thrilled to see the food that was served. At other meetings, I was somewhat dismayed that donuts and coffee were the offerings. Just not the type of food to feed sick bodies. This catered luncheon featured half of a chicken breast with a vegetable salsa, spinach salad with vegetables, fresh fruit, pasta salad with vegetables, rolls and a dessert of a small Key Lime tart with meringue. Perfect. Small portions.

I have hope that one day this group has some part in new discoveries of the management, treatment and cure for fibrosis and other ILDs. It is such a death sentence with lung transplants as the only treatment now available. I am sure that well after my death there will be a breakthrough. If I can offer any body part or be a part of any trial to move that forward, I will. I have. I will continue to do so.

No comments: