Sunday, December 12, 2010

Winnie at Four

My friend Winnie turned 4-years old this week. I just can’t believe it. I left the school where I got sick before Natalie was pregnant with her and suddenly she is so old! The years have flown by.

When I am really struggling with some bad health news, I need a visit from Winnie to put my fears back into perspective. She reminds me of the goodness and the joy of life. She is a gift.

We met at a restaurant the day before her birthday because Michael was so sick at home. She made sure that I understood that her birthday was not for another day but she was still willing to open her presents early. The hit of all the gifts was the card.

Winnie loves Superman. She has seen all the movies. She quotes the dialogue. Michael found a Superman card that, when opened, plays the theme. She was entranced. She looked at me and said, “That is really good.”

Made my day.

What was so sweet was that an older woman next to us was having a birthday luncheon with her adult grandchildren. When the cake and candles arrived, Winnie joined in the singing. Afterwards, she told the woman that her birthday was the next day. The lady chatted with her for a bit then it was time for us to go. Winnie stopped by her table and said with great sincerity, “Happy Birthday.” I thought the lady was going to cry she was so touched.

I would love to think that I will be alive long enough to see what this little girl does with her life. It is sure to be as spectacular as she is already.

No comments: