Friday, December 10, 2010

Sudden Caretaker

My role changed last week. I became the caretaker of Michael as he suffered through the flu. I was really worried about him as he was the sickest I have ever seen him. The six days of fever and the horrible cough seems to be running its course according to the doctor. Nothing else they can do for him.

My job was to try to get some food into him. He just couldn’t eat. So, I made pots of soup and scrambled lots of eggs. That is about all he would eat.

After a few days, I encouraged him to come into the family room and sit up for a couple of hours a day. While there, I would fluff the bed and freshen it up a bit. He would moan climbing back into it because it felt so good.

When his fever broke after six days and another few days of recovery, I was finally able to sleep in my own bed. I moaned!

Now he seems to be on the mend. Maybe. I am worried that he will jump back into life too soon and the fever will return. He is leaving the house for the first time today. 

I feel compelled to comment here that he decided not to get a flu shot this year as:
1. He has never had the flu.
2. His friend got the flu from the vaccine.

Even after I explained that his friend may have had some symptoms of the flu for two days after the vaccine, he did not have the flu. I told him that he is putting my health at risk as I would probably not survive the flu. He didn't find the time to get a vaccine. So, it has been a scary time. I have tried to be very careful but I think, so far, the vaccine has prevented me from being infected. Thank goodness. 

Also, during every phone call while he was feverish, he told every person to get a flu shot and that he would never miss another one. Ever. Lesson learned.

As the sudden caretaker, I am thrilled that he is well enough to remove me from that role. It has given me insight to the responsibilities he feels about my health. It is a tough role. 

I am so grateful that he is on the mend.

No comments: