Friday, May 30, 2014

Goodbye to Barbara

When William started Kindergarten at the little school way up in the hills, there was a woman hired by the donated money from the community to be a paid aide. Barbara was brilliant with conflict resolution while on playground duty. She should have worked for the State Department! I used to watch how she dealt with problems with the children, allowed the children to maintain their dignity but was clear about the issues and reached agreements of expectations of future behavior. I learned so much from her that years later, I gained a positive reputation for understanding children when working for the school where I got sick.

Winnie is now finishing first grade at the school and through Natalie, I have been invited to Barbara's retirement party at a local restaurant this afternoon. When the students graduate from the little school, they come down here to the coast for Middle and High schools. I love that the party is being held from 3-6 so the alums currently at those schools have the opportunity to walk to the restaurant downtown to say goodbye to Barbara. 

Rehab: My numbers were not quite as good yesterday but it still felt fantastic. And I wore my new sweater! Sherman was in fine form and we laughed the entire time. 

Weather: June Gloom has arrived: morning fog/clouds which clear for late afternoon sunshine, hopefully. There will soon be so many tourists on the coast when schools are out and they stick out from the masses with their shorts and goosebumps. Summers in the Bay Area are so much cooler than in Southern California. Our best weather is September after the kids go back to school and January, oddly. 

No comments: