Thursday, May 22, 2014

What I Learned While on the Road

Just want to sing,
"Which one of these is not like the others?"
It was an amazing trip. Twenty states and 6,861 miles. We never hit any storms or tornadoes or snow. There was a bit of rain while we dropped by the Duck Dynasty headquarters in West Monroe, LA but that was it. So much happened. The wild three 12-hour days push along Highway 80 was exhausting. The elevation really affected my breathing and I experienced saturation rates in the low 80s while just sitting in the car. We will never drive over the Rockies again.

I learned that I can deal with heat but not humidity. In Atlanta, I walked half of a block from our car to The Porter Beer Bar and I was very short of breath. It was like the humidity was coming up through the sidewalk and encasing me. I just couldn't breathe. So, I am no longer afraid of heat. Just humidity.

I learned that family doesn't have to sharing ancestors. We met Joanne and Jeff in Ohio. We had been in contact via email for years after Joanne found this blog. Jeff had been misdiagnosed and actually has HP. I know in my heart, that Joanne and I are somewhere related down our family trees. Too many similarities. Our mothers look alike. I met her mother, we took a photo together and I was shocked to see how much we also looked alike. My heart and soul feels very connected with Joanne. Family.

I learned that I will order a portable oxygen system next time we take a long road trip. It was too much to deal with 11 concentrators to met us along the way. And, I could have used supplemental oxygen in the car, especially over the Rockies.

I learned that we are three years older since our last road trip. Three years. We just can't put in twelve hours in a car anymore. Thankfully, our trip home from North Carolina was just four to five hours each day. It was relaxing and fun instead of pushing and trying to get someplace. Better.

I learned that what I loved more than anything was being out of a routine with very few interruptions. Life did not intrude. We were together. Alone most of the time. No phone calls. No doctors. No rehab. No nothing. It was very freeing and very relaxing.

So we are home. Back to life. Michael spent yesterday handing out bourbon and hats and stuff to people. He is back to work next Monday. But until then, we are still enjoying a slower schedule. We are meeting my mom for her shot in her eye then we are going to lunch. The three of us. I haven't seen her since before we left almost a month ago. There will not be a moment of silence!!

No comments: