Thursday, October 7, 2010

My Giants


One thing I have not mentioned is my love of baseball. It began when dad took me alone to a Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley Field when I was well under 5-years old. I loved the sounds. I loved the smells. I didn’t understand the game but I was with my dad. Just the two of us.

Through the years, we attended many games together. He was a second-generation St. Louis Cardinals fan and my brother continues that tradition today. In fact, he traveled from New Mexico to St. Louis to attend the first game in the new stadium..He is a true fan.

Slowly I became a SF Giants fan or, as dad would call me, a traitor. It remained a competition between us for years, with me usually on the losing end. At the time, St. Louis was very strong when the Giant were very week.

Michael was not a baseball fan for a long time. When William was younger, I would buy the best seats I could get and he and I would go together. We didn’t stay for an entire game for a couple years. I wanted him to get the smell of the ballpark into this veins while he was young.

The Giants clenched their division this week. It is going to be an interesting baseball post-season, which begins tonight. St. Louis was six games back of their division so there will be no post-season for them.

So, watching the Panda, Buster Posey and all the fantastic pitchers, we are looking forward to the playoffs.

Here we go. October. My favorite time of year!

No comments: