Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Water for Elephants






















The Book Club. It was on vacation along with everyone else this summer while we completed our fence project. Now, it is ready to begin again. Our house. Friday evening. A dozen people.

We are going to discuss Sara Gruen’s “Water for Elephants.” I was my suggestion. For those who have not read the book, it is about a very second-rate circus in the 1920’s written from the viewpoint and memories of a 90+ year old in a convalescent home. Loved the ending.

Michael doesn’t care one way or the other about the book club but he was not happy that we are hosting it. I, of course, have planned a wonderful array of food. Lots of finger foods. Lots of wine. Lots of beer. Lots of water.

The menu:

  • Good potato chips
  • Spicy almonds – homemade and delicious
  • Reduced savory wine sauce over goat cheese on crostini
  • Shrimp Vermicelli pasta – served cold - homemade
  • Olives
  • Chips and Salsa
  • Assortment of cheeses, fruit and crackers
  • Pita with Tzatziki sauce
  • Bruschetta – homemade
  • Mixed Tomato with Balsamic Vinegar and Dill
  • Roasted Red Peppers, Kalamata Olives and Capers
  • Mozzarella, Pesto, Arugula and Parmesan
  • Petit fours
  • Fudge - homemade
  • Good cookies
  • Centerpieces – cotton candy and kettle corn

I think Michael is worried that I will over-do it again. He is probably right. I have promised that I will rest afterwards. Well, except that we are leaving for Las Vegas three days later. I have three days to recover. Vegas.

Viva Las Vegas!

No comments: