Monday, December 10, 2012

Recent Problems with Nissen Fundoplication

Everyone in my ILD Support Group has GERD - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - but mine was solved with a procedure called a Nissen Fundoplication. I have written about the surgery and the problems with this procedure in past blogs. It solved the problem of acid rising into my lungs but it created another. Apparently, the doctor made the knot too tight so sometimes, the blasted food just won't go down as it gets stuck at the intersection of my stomach and esophagus. If this happens, I have found that if I walk around, it either passes or I suddenly burp and Voila! gone. When the food gets stuck, it is painful and a bit scary.

It had been a weird food week. Because of doctor appointments for mom and the need for me to fast for the liver scan, I didn't eat three meals several days in a row. Too little food and I begin to lose my hair! So on Saturday, I worked in the gardens and sat down for a lunch which included a stuffed chicken breast with goat cheese and herbs. I was hungry.

I ate several bites when it happened. It got stuck. I walked. I sipped some water to see if that would help. It was really stuck. Then it happened, I knew I was going to vomit. Suddenly, it came up.

Well, that was the end of lunch for me! Forget it. I did have some spaghetti - with Pasta Slim - for dinner which tasted fantastic. So, I am going to be very careful with chicken, which can be dry.

For my blogs about the Nissen, see below. It really was the best thing that I have had done throughout this whole process and I would do it again in a minute. I don't have to take any reflux drugs or have any worries about reflux going into my tender lungs. If you have an interstitial lung disease, please ask your doctor to be checked for GERD. Mine was silent which means I had no symptoms and it was a very serious case.

http://livingwellwithabaddiagnosis.blogspot.com/2009/12/nissen-fundoplication-part-1.html

http://livingwellwithabaddiagnosis.blogspot.com/2009/12/nissen-fundoplication-part-2.html

http://livingwellwithabaddiagnosis.blogspot.com/2011/01/problems-with-nissen-fundoplication.html

No comments: