Sunday, December 16, 2012

Next Thanksgiving Gift, Gifts of Sugar-Glazed Walnuts and a Miracle!

The best news ever. After encouragement from me, my niece told her parents that she would like to host future Thanksgivings at her home. A big sigh of relief from deep in my heart! I hate cooking Thanksgiving dinner. The tradition demands specific foods and some family members demand tradition. Woe to you who strays. For my turn in 2011, we went to a restaurant near mom. I was already beginning to worry about next year....Thank goodness for my niece. The plan is that it will be a potluck, eat early, visit and get home hours before the usual midnight.

The first set of groceries come into the house today. This morning, I am going to the other rehab then to Trader Joe's. After driving back home over the pass, I will buy the remaining foodstuffs at Safeway. This year, I am making my standard Sugar-Glazed Walnuts for the rehab nurses, the rehab boys and neighbors. Also, William and my mom have a standing order. Several of those need to be made by Tuesday so I will be cooking this afternoon while watching the 49er game.

I am on Facebook with one of my former parents at the school where I got my lung disease. When she filed for a divorce, her children did not support it. They remained with her former husband and they refused to have any contact with her. She re-married and they recently moved to Oregon. It has been many years without any contact. Yesterday, her son phoned. They talked and are planning to see him in Seattle. A huge weight has been lifted from her heart. Sometimes children of every age do not understand something until they are older or experience a similar situation. The son is now an adult. Life experiences has given him a better understanding. It is time to reunite. I am in awe of the strength that it must have taken for him to make the first contact. But, it is Christmas. The season of miracles.

No comments: