Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Girl Meets Yoga

With trepidation, I met with the possible new yoga instructor for tea yesterday afternoon. Yoga and the whole world of yoga is so out of my comfort zone. I was expecting to not like her at all.

After ordering some tea, I watched each woman who walked through the door wondering if she was the yoga instructor. It was a very fit and short haired woman walking through the door who I thought might be her. She looked at me and I said, "Are you Kate?" It was.

We sat for over an hour and talked. She took notes as I tried to be succinct about the high points and the process of my disease. When I told her Dr. K. said I needed techniques to help me through the entire lung transplant process, she shared that her husband had been hit while riding his bike along Highway 1, the car did not stop and he was found unconscious in a small gully along the road. While in extreme pain and very seriously injured, he used many of the things he had learn to control the pain and his breathing to keep him calm and was able to focus on healing. After 18-months of rehab, he was back to 100%.

She gets it.

She also said that she teaches her clients the techniques they need, offers additional reading and learning then her clients usually take a break from her and do it on their own. This is her goal. She said that she is not a permanent fixture but someone offering information then drifting away after her work is done. Often, clients will connect with her again when they are ready to do additional work.

She said that what I needed was restorative yoga. Breathing. An hour. Once a week for $75.00. That is a lot of money to us. A major monthly bill.

I was beginning to really like her. Nuts! Earlier in the day, I was mentally heading to the Tai Chi classes for $12.00 each. Cheap! Fun! Movement!

After she said that she would love to work with me, she told me the reason for the meeting. If she feels no connection, she won't accept a client. Interesting.

So, later that evening, Michael and I talked about it. The positive: she would come to my house, my germs, my environment and I liked her as a person. The negatives: the cost.

We are going to think about it today and contact her later this evening. If yes, I would begin in early January.

No comments: