Monday, December 24, 2012

Stormy Night


 The storm that blew through late yesterday afternoon was strong enough to kick in an emergency warning for flooding. It was blustery and wet! It was also when we were driving into the city along the ocean to meet Don at his house then William and Kimberly at a restaurant near his house. We slowly made our way around large boulders which had fallen onto the roadway, spotted huge puddles of standing water and fought the winds. After dinner, we drove home over the pass instead of right along the coast as it was much too dangerous.

But, Don was fun, looked fantastic from his newly installed four stints in his heart and had just returned from a business trip to China. We had Italian food including kale, mini meatballs and flatbread pizzas. I am not an anchovy fan so it was not hard for me to resist the pizza. Michael, though, was in heaven. The dessert of a hazelnut torta in a salted caramel sauce was worth the entire dinner.

Hazelnut Torta
We all went back to Don's fancy loft so William and Kimberly could meet his cat. They fell in love. After an uneventful drive home, I feel into bed and slept the night.

Don's cat who jumped onto William's back
I glanced at my phone during dinner to show Don the car the Michael is finishing up and mom had phoned. Mom! She never phones my cell phone. I excused myself and went outside to return her call. She was so worried about us as she had been watching all the warnings of flooding in our area, couldn't reach us and was convinced we were dead! We chatted a bit to make her feel better. I guess a mother never stops worrying about her child no matter how old!

Don and Kimberly
My little chicks had planned to horseback riding across the street before 8:00 this morning for a cheaper rate...I don't think they are going to make it. I think I still hear light snoring!

Today is the big cooking day for me. Everything that can be made ahead for Christmas Day will happen this morning then later we are going over the pass for dinner and to buy the fantastic chicken livers at Max's Opera Cafe to be served as an appetizer tomorrow. As I do not have a group of adventurous eaters in my extended family, I think it will only be the four of us enjoying these chicken livers with hard-boiled eggs on Jewish rye. Heaven.

Michael and William are going to hand out the Sugar-Glazed Walnuts to the neighbors. I am sure they will all love to see William for a few minutes.

So, to the kitchen I go!

No comments: