Monday, December 14, 2009

Adjusting for Christmas

Christmas can be frustrating and exhausting. It shouldn’t be. It should be a time to mark another year of health and a joyous time with friends and family.

Through the years, I have learned to adjust for my energy issues and to make Christmas healthy for all of us.

We had to give up a live tree. The possible molds or fungus as well as the aroma prodded us to purchase two fake trees. I hated them the first year. I have adjusted.

We haven’t been to a Mass in ages. That Christmas tradition is gone.

A side story: One of the women I met in the rehab class was a former nun. She is a hoot and hilarious. We were out together to a charity Christmas open house for a school when she mentioned that it was a First Friday. God, I hadn’t been to a First Friday Mass since elementary school. She asked if I would go with her after the open house. We arrived, sat away from anyone else and, as the Mass began, an older man sat in our pew with us. He constantly coughed and sneezed. I was not looking forward to the part when we all were expected to shake hands with each other. I just couldn’t. When the time came, I grabbed him by the shoulders and gave him a quick hug. He looked startled. I haven’t been to a Mass since then. Too many germs!

Christmas shopping has become a game that we play. We plan for it for weeks. Lists are made, stores are noted and on a Monday morning, we begin. It is an all day event with a stop at lunch for cocktails. It keeps Michael going. It is finished by dinner. If I have to grab little things, I do it before or after rehab. We learned that there are few people in the stores on Mondays. Perfect for me!

We used to have a Christmas Eve party every year. Forget it. I need to have enough energy to get through Christmas.

I used to cook a lot for the neighbors and friends and special treats throughout the month. No more.

Christmas has turned into a time where Michael and I appreciate our time together, our families and our dear friends. The other stuff is adjustable.

Next: Whining

No comments: