Sunday, September 23, 2012

More Menus for the Week


Those of us on long-term prednisone often have problems processing certain foods. Our pancreas is tired and overworked. The foods, which help the pancreas and our waistline, are non-starchy vegetables and protein. Only 3-4 ozs of protein and, in my case, a total of 1,400 calories a day. With those parameters in mind, I mine the Internet for recipes that can be adjusted to these proportions. Low fat. Low carb.

I hope sharing these recipes offers better food choices while dealing with the prednisone side effects.

I baked the breakfast quiche in the new oven yesterday. It turned out perfectly. I realize now that the old oven was really not consistent heat and it had been failing for quite a while.  The quiche, which includes non-fat cottage cheese and eggbeaters, was made with pancetta, caramelized onions and low-fat shredded Mexican Blend cheese. It was delicious.

First, we had Basque-Style Shrimp from Prevention Magazine and a side salad.

Then in two days, I will use my new wok to make Mongolian Beef with a side of cabbage with a lite Asian dressing. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1736075

The final recipe for the week is Michael’s most favorite – Pizza Chicken served with a side salad.

Happy cooking!

No comments: