Saturday, September 15, 2012

First Meal, Menus and Microwave


Our first meal on the new stove happened last night! Michael did the final gas hook up while I marinated the meat and vegetables for Fajitas. I used the extra hot wok burner, which browned the meat in just minutes then the peppers and onions were added and were also beautifully cooked. Tomorrow, I am going to bake two pans of baklava for William and a friend of Michael's. It will be a challenge to learn how to bake with a convection oven.

Menus for the Fajitas and the two other recipes for this week are:

Fajitas - http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/maindishes/r/beeffajitas.htm

Caribbean Chicken - http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=55724

Stuffed Large Zucchini (Thanks to Ron's garden next door!) -http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/stuffed_zucchini_with_turkey_sausage/

The workout at the other rehab was a challenge yesterday. Even my friend Kent noticed that I struggling. The saturation levels were good but, I am out of shape! Maybe it was partially due to the lack of sleep because I struggled the entire day.

After the workout, Mom and I went to the florist where we were given roses while she ordered flowers to be sent to Betty. She was then enthralled with the restaurant supply place where we bought my wok and tools. Everything is so less expensive compared to a department store. We wandered through the store just looking at all the commercial grade stuff. We then continued to drive south to the appliance store. Our search? A microwave. Nothing. We were looking for 1,200 wattage stainless small microwave. After a lunch at of three fish taco's for mom and an appetizer of shrimp and steak for me at Max's Cafe in Redwood City,  http://www.maxsworld.com/maxs/map.php?id=18   we continued our search for a microwave.

We drove to the other end of the county to JC Penney's and Sears in our quest. Nothing. Penney's had one microwave. One. Sears had many but they were huge and just not right. We did find one but they didn't have any in stock. After telling Michael about our struggles, we decided to look for just a plain black one as that might be easier to find.

The weather is going to be sunny in the mid-60s today and my garden is calling to me. I plan to spend most of the day hand trimming bushes and just tending it. It calms my soul. I also need to season the new wok, defrost the phyllo dough for tomorrow's baking day and fill out all the appliance rebate forms to get them ready for the mail on Monday. A busy day.

Rumor has it that if the weather is as lovely on Sunday, the convertible top may have to come down on the car and we just might to have a bit of a drive in the hills or along the coast. That would be nice.

No comments: