Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Betty Update and Other Stuff

Rehab yesterday - amazing. On 2 liters of supplemental oxygen, I was steady on the treadmill at 98% saturation levels. Last time I tested these levels before our trip, it was in the 91-92 range. So, something is healing. Thursday, I will reduce my prednisone dosage to 30 mgs, down from the current 35 mgs. I also will be phoning to make an appointment for a CT Scan this week then the results from that will determined if I can return to rehab.

We just spoke with Betty and she sounded horrible. Her throat was raw and her voice was very raspy. The scary news is that she is on 5 liters of oxygen just sitting in bed. As a decades long smoker, I fear that a lung disease is reveling itself. The good news is that her son Jesse is there in support of my brother, who is an emotional mess. He is also there to help his aunt with her chemo appointments.

At the end of the conversation, I mentioned to Betty that mom had one of the Mexican candles lit when I visited her yesterday. We both laughed as it is so out of character for mom - a lit candle! Ever! Left to burn 24/7! She was touched. As we said our goodbyes, I told her we loved her so much and she started to cry.

We are still waiting to hear from the electrician so we can install the new oven/stove. Microwaved food is in our near future for a few days.

Today, I am going to rearrange all the cabinets in the kitchen. Tomorrow, I will be leaving at dawn to drive mom out to the valley for a visit with my dad at the cemetery, a visit with one friend, picking up another friend then meeting several of her oldest friends for lunch. It will be an emotional day for her.

No comments: