Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Talking Through the Day

Mom and I created quite a stir yesterday. We talked between and laughed our way throughout three doctors appointments. We arrived on time to the early appointment only to find that we were at the wrong campus. They rescheduled it for 2:30 then we drove to yet another campus for the next appointment. It was moms pre-op with the anesthesiologist for her eye surgery to stop a running eye. Done. We went back upstairs for the next appointment with the surgeon.

He was the tall, handsome doctor who reminded us both of my brother. We started talking about road trips and I started telling stories. He kept asking questions. I kept telling stories. The fellow left the room, he stayed. I started talking about my lung disease - the reason why I can't fly - and he started asking more questions. I think he stood in front of the door for over 20 minutes just talking. He walked us out to the waiting and was smiling as two of the many women who work in the back office hugged us as we went by. I turned and said to him, "We have quite a reputation." He replied, "I see that!" On our way out the door, the volunteer whom we have gotten to know said her goodbyes as she is going to volunteer at a senior center. We will miss her!

We had over two hours before the rescheduled appointment so what did we do? Shopped, of course. A quick lunch at McDonalds then Macy's where I bought a fantastic turquoise tweed jacket on sale marked down from $100.00 to $36.00. Afterwards, we went by a Starbucks for a treat - chai for mom, tea for me. While paying, I saw the CD of the group with whom William is touring. I showed mom. It makes it so real when I see one out of context in the normal world. It is also really weird when I am in a store and hear it being played or have their video playing in the Juniors department in Nordstroms while walking by. Makes me smile.

We made our way to the main hospital for mom's injection to help prevent more bone fractures. The valet parking guys - who we have also gotten to know - thought it was fantastic that mom had a new Mini Cooper. She loved the attention! The injection went well then right afterwards, we screamed eight cities north to my butchers then back near mom's for a Trader Joe's run. I was out of food.

After leaving the house at 7:00 in the morning I finally pulled back into the driveway at 5:00. I was pooped but it was not done yet! After hauling in groceries, putting everything away, I cooked the pork chops and the turkey breast. Dinners for four nights are done! It was a long day, I was a bit hoarse from talking so much and the cough seems to have returned a bit. I am debating whether or not to take the antibiotics Dr. K. gave to me in case I needed them. I have no fever just this occasional dry cough after exertion. I slept so hard last night and taking it easy today. I will be staying on the coast for a hair appointment and a Safeway run. I need to not talk all day! Impossible, you say?

No comments: