Thursday, April 25, 2013

Speaking About Exercise - Loving Yoga

The yoga class was small. Four women. Somehow, I was able to do and feel more yesterday than ever before. Maybe it was less distractions or maybe I was just more focused. There was one point during the 90-minute class that I must always fall back into Child's Pose to catch my breath, even with supplemental oxygen. I just have not been able to do the one Sun Salutation that the teacher leads us through four times in a row. The most I have ever been able to get through, on a good day, is one. Yesterday, I did two. It took a bit to get my breath back under control before falling into Child's Pose, but I did it. It felt so good and I had quite a feeling of satisfaction.

After the class, I was able to function (!) and went by Safeway on my way home. While home, I did a lot around the house, took a shower and played with the orchestra last night. I think my body is adjusting and growing stronger since I began this difficult yoga class last January. Never, not ever, would I have imagined in my wildest dreams that I would be involved in and even become addicted to yoga!

I was recently reminded that a study about yoga and lung disease at my university hospital revealed that there was a very positive outcome. It makes sense when I think about all the time spend on focusing on breathing with every move. Deep breathing. Restorative breathing.

Today, I am speaking with a small group at my rehab hospital. It is a group of patients who have been recently encouraged by their doctors to attend pulmonary rehab. Most go through the 8-weeks of education and exercise but few continue in the maintenance program that I have been attending since 2005. My talk with this group today will focus on the importance of consistent, monitored exercise.

And finally, my mom had a minor accident in her new Mini Cooper yesterday. She was soooo upset. She has never had an accident or ticket. Fortunately, she hit a very old parked car while pulling out of a driveway. A minor brush. Michael went by to see it on his way home and said it was hardly anything. I know he made my mom feel better. She has a doctor's appointment on Monday so I get to drive it! I am praying I don't get in an accident!!

No comments: