Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Give Me Oxygen!

It is now official. I proved I still need supplemental oxygen and Medicare along with AARP's United Health will continue to cover the costs. That was a close one. I phoned Apria yesterday morning after I worked out at the other rehab, explain that I received a letter from them stating that the documentation from my two-hour exercise test to show that I desaturated at 88% was not completed and they will soon  require that I pay for my oxygen needs out of pocket. After a bit of research, my new best friend LaToya told me that the letter was dated 12/9 and they received the signed paperwork on 12/10. Everything was good. Fine. No problem. Huge sigh of relief.

Onto mom's. She was still struggling with a cough, went to immediate care again on Saturday and was on antibiotics again. She was feeling better yesterday. Hopping in the car, we first tried to find some Stax firewood for the holidays. It is designed to burn without an odor and doesn't bother my lungs. Couldn't find them. We then went to Honeybaked Hams and we were so happy that it was not crowded yet. Mom had been dreaming about their ham salad that she had decades ago in Florida. We arrived and the nice young woman told us they would make it for mom. While she and mom were talking, I spoke with the woman making it. I told her that we are always trying to find food that mom will eat and thanked her so much for going the extra mile for her. She told me to call ahead so we wouldn't have to wait and she would make as much as mom wanted. How sweet is that?

We then made our way back to our area for some See's Candy for my rehab boys and William. There was a little cafe next door, so we stopped for lunch and I was thrilled to see mom eat more that she usually eats. When she doesn't feel well, she just doesn't eat. She looked very small and frail, so I was so happy to watch her eat chicken and salsa and cheese!

The next stop was Trader Joe's where the checker we have grown to love announced that she became engaged last night! We hugged and she was just so excited. She told us several weeks ago that she spotted something that warned her that there was going to be a ring soon. We all thought it would be on Christmas. I dropped mom off and was home by 3:00 to watched the clock until Michael walked through at 3:30. His tooth was still not ready to replace the crown. The dentist cleaned it all out again, installed a new temporary and Michael said it feels better.

Today? Presents and cards will be handed out at the final rehab class until after Christmas. Michael is going out with the twin, Ricky and other men for their annual Prime Rib dinner, so he will not be coming home after work. It always feels weird when that happens. I teased him last night, "You are having Prime Rib? I guess I will have an egg for dinner. Or maybe just a piece of cheese." He was laughing then described in detail the creamed spinach and the huge baked potato he was also planning to order. It is good for him to be out with the guys to talk their men gossip and cars. Good for his soul.

We are on a march towards William arrival early Thursday morning. It was 70 degrees here on the coast yesterday and will continue to be mild today. A big blast of cold air from the north is due on Thursday. Of course. I was hoping it would continue while he was here.

No comments: