Saturday, December 7, 2013

Managing Stamina

We haven't had friends to our home for dinner in a long time. I love entertaining, cooking and being with people but I always worry about my stamina. It is still not totally back after my bout of pneumonia in September, so I have to be smart. Susan and Randy are coming tonight and I am ready. It took only four hours yesterday to cook the Pancetta and Porcini Potato Gratin, the Praline covered Chocolate Cake, iron a few things, clean the kitchen, make dinner for us and wash the wine glasses. I fell into bed!

Since it rained last evening, I am going to wash the windows and pick up the yard this morning, though the grass is too wet to cut. After a quick run into town, I am going to do nothing but take a nap this afternoon before jumping into the shower. Simple appetizers are the only things I have to put together just before they arrive.

The true test of how I managed preparing for this event will be tomorrow morning. If I am exhausted, I know I just can't do this sort of thing for awhile.

My mom. She is having post traumatic stress. While driving her Mini Cooper to Safeway earlier in the week, the floor mat shifted forward covering the pedals, she kept hitting the gas instead of the break, tore around a corner at a terrific speed and she finally got it to stop. She was shaken. No one was injured. No cars were hit. She was very lucky. She was afraid to drive. I gave her a pep talk yesterday, removed the mat and told her to drive the back way to the mall, just three blocks away, to get her confidence back. No phone call from her so she must have been fine.

No comments: