Thursday, November 6, 2014

Steps Forward

I had to run to the city to meet with the Weight Management doctor, whom I adore. She sat, listened as I told her about Michael's incident and remarked that it will take time for him to return to normal. She also reminded me that it had only been three days since the seizure. She said that the MRI will probably not show anything unusual, the EEG will mark where the damaged happened but we may never know the cause of the seizure. That is scary because he may never be able to get his driver's license back. His independence. I felt better talking with her and hardly noticed that I had lost three pounds!! Stress!!

Michael refused to come to the appointment with me. I was nervous leaving him home alone as I worried about a late clot on his brain or another fall as he was still unsteady. He was fine. After I got home, I made an appointment with his primary doctor to discuss his blood sugar, he ordered the kit from the pharmacy so we will meet next Tuesday morning. Then I phoned the neurologist. With all my experience, I know that the front desk people and the nurse are important people to try to make personal connections. The nurse remembered us and opened up. She said the doctor was doing a major spinal surgery and would probably not phone us that evening. I remarked that we were so nervous waiting to hear the results of the MRI. She checked, saw the report was completed the previous evening then told me that their rules are that if something was on the MRI, the patient must be immediately notified. No news is good news. Thankfully.

In the morning, I mentioned that his mother was very concerned about him and it would give her comfort just to hear his voice. He phoned her. A big step as he had not wanted to talk to or see anyone. While I was gone, he spoke with Anna and his buddy Ricky. After dinner, his best friend Wayne dropped by. I was stunned. Michael's speech has been slower, he searches for words, lots of pauses and just not right. With Wayne, he was himself! No problem with his speech! It was amazing. He really needs to be around people.

Today is a big day. A test of sorts. Michael is going into work. I am going to mom's this morning followed by the rehab class. Afterwards, I will swing by his work to see if he wants to come home or stay until 5:30.

The goal is to get back to our normal routines as soon as possible. With adjustments. Sound familiar?

No comments: