Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Trifecta is Back


Through the past two weeks as I become Michael’s caregiver, I have realized that I needed to still be worried about my own health. Exercise, diet and sleep. The trifecta of staying well! All three fell away the first week after the incident when I was overwhelmed with panic and concern. Just this week, I have my focus back: returning to yoga today, returning again to orchestra rehearsal tonight, attending pulmonary rehab classes this week. After rehab yesterday, I cooked my lunches for the week along with dinner for the next few nights. Everything is ready, plated and smelling marvelous in the refrigerator. 

After yoga this morning, I am having a facial while having my hair dyed. My gray/white roots are showing! Anna wants to chat afterwards. Just a check-in. She is still so worried about her little brother. 

Yesterday, we got a reply to our email to the neurologist asking about next steps since the MRI and EEG are normal. His reply? "Stay on the drugs for two years and we will see what happens." What?!? Stay on the awful anti-seizure drugs when this was not caused by a seizure! He was feeling a drop in his blood sugar just before the incident and a seizure is a symptom of low blood sugar. I was furious. After the rehab class, I drove to Michael's work and we phoned Kaiser from the car asking for an advocate. We learned that all we needed to do was to request a referral to an endocrinologist from his primary doctor. We sent that email last night. 

From the very beginning, I told the paramedics, the Stanford trauma doctors, the Kaiser ER doctors, the neurologist, and his primary doctor that this was caused by his continuing struggle with low blood sugar. He has been keeping it stable with diet and exercise for decades. No one HEARD me. Now that we have proved that it was not a heart issue or a brain issue maybe, just maybe someone with finally listen.

No comments: